Text Size

Keri's Thoughts

My gym? My attitude?

Just random thoughts and ideas

My gym? My attitude?

Postby Keri Tom » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 pm

So I’ve been going to the gym lately, actually for a little over a year now. While I’ve belonged to many gyms and done many types of activities over the years, this time it really is different.

It’s not only the gym that different; might it be my attitude, too?

First let me tell you about my gym: SoCal Cross Fit in San Diego, CA. You will not find a finer or more knowledgeable group of people when it comes to nutrition and fitness. It is nothing like your standard gym: no rows of treadmills, no spin classes, but lots of floor space, monkey bars, gymnastics rings and kettle bells. When I first walked in, I thought, how can anybody get anything done in here? And I sure as hell am NOT going to climb that rope! But the owner (one of my favorite clients) is a product of the product, so I thought I’d give it a chance.

Glad I did! It took several classes to get the hang of it – how to lift weight properly, the names of different types of lifts, etc. – before I was allowed to participate in the classes. The strange part is that I am now addicted. And I’m not talking about that feeling you get when you muscles start to yell at you for not going after a few missed days. Is it the atmosphere? Sure! You get to know the regulars, and they are keenly aware of your accomplishments and duly help you celebrate. Is it the training itself? Sure! I’m so d@mn strong now it’s unbelievable. Weight loss? Umm… That one’s on me; we’ll come back to that one later on...

It’s not the social pressure that keeps me there – there isn’t any. The trainers are not self absorbed pretty boys (or girls) interested only in “blasting my quads” or “check out these lats!” While there are certainly plenty who are also a product of the product, this gym has an entirely different feel to it. The regulars are also regular people; we’re all looking for some type of fitness benefit, no matter what level.

My focus has changed, in addition to my diet, my age and everything that goes with it. I no longer need to be the airbrushed and spray-tanned Maxim cover model. I want health, strength, flexibility and a good beating – a heart pounding, muscles churning, nostril-flaring work out. I love the high that comes from successfully being able to add 5 pounds to the weight I lifted last time, it’s very empowering. It also means I can heft that 45-lb bag of kitty litter (d@mn you, Costco!) to the garage while barely batting an eye.

So I’m feeling better, my energy level has gone through the roof, my diet has changed drastically, I’m the mighty mite of the house now. Thanks to my gym? 

Yes, I'm a bad-ass! :-)

What are your thoughts? Have you gone through drastic changes lately? What caused it? What maintains the changes? Is it psychological? Just a matter of maturing, aging, mid-life crises, a different stage of life? What is it that made me finally decide to do something about my fitness? What did it for you?
Fin2swim - Infant Aquatics Master Instructor Trainer "Life is Beautiful"
Keri Tom

Re: My gym? My attitude?

Postby Keri Tom » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi Laura,

Welcome, and thank you for your input! :D

It was very intimidating at first to walk into this industrial-looking "gym" and feel like I'll ever know what to do. And the WOD?? Forget it! Lift weights? But I'll look like a freakish caveman! But now I'm flipping tires and swinging kettle bells with the big boys, and loving every minute of it. :-)

One Cross Fitter girl has a shirt that reads "Strong is the new skinny." I just might make that my new motto! :D
Fin2swim - Infant Aquatics Master Instructor Trainer "Life is Beautiful"
Keri Tom

Return to Keri's Thoughts