Text Size

Keri's Thoughts

Costco confirms it will stop selling Apple products

Just random thoughts and ideas

Postby Keri Tom » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 pm

This is a disappointment to me because I support Costco for their good business practices and ethical standards. I guess I won't be buying any Apple products EVER, until this gets resolved. There are many alternate products out there that are better or comparable to Apple products. Sorry Apple but you better get your act together.

by Josh Lowensohn

In an interview with The Seattle Times earlier today, Costco's Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti confirmed the company is in the process of phasing out Apple products from its shelves.

The news confirms a 2-month-old rumor from iLounge that noted the process as already under way. iLounge's source had attributed the move to the wholesale retailer getting shut out of acquiring stock of products like the iPad, which competitors like Sam's Club, Wal-Mart Stores, and Target had gotten access to some six months after its launch.

The Seattle Times says the split is mutual and notes that, unlike some of the deals made with other large-scale Apple resellers, Costco was never allowed to sell Apple's products through its own online store. The post also highlights that Costco's sales of Apple products did not venture further than offering slightly discounted iPods and packs of iTunes gift cards.

Costco quite famously stopped selling Coca-Cola products after a pricing dispute in November of last year, before resuming sales just a month later after the two companies had worked things out.
Fin2swim - Infant Aquatics Master Instructor Trainer "Life is Beautiful"
Keri Tom

Re: Costco confirms it will stop selling Apple products

Postby Keri Tom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:59 am

Costco Wholesale (NASDAQ:COST) has reached an agreement with Apple to stop selling the company’s products, including the iPod. Costco Wholesale (NASDAQ:COST) was looking to stop selling Apple products due to the electronics giant was not allowing the retailer to offer its products online. Costco Wholesale (NASDAQ:COST) was also seeking to sell the iPad tablet computer and iPhone 4, which rival Sam’s Club already does. Costco Wholesale (NASDAQ:COST) had been selling iPods and iTunes gift cards from Apple.

Richard Galanti, the CEO of Costco Wholesale (NASDAQ:COST) said that, “In the past couple months, we agreed to wind down.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:( Some look at this situation in an emotional way but when it comes down to business, a decision was made. For what reasons we are unclear but some speculate that they weren't able to get the Ipad when all other retailers got theirs and for Costco to pull out was payback. It was said that it had to do with pricing and Costco wanted a better price for its consumers and Apple didn't agree. Who knows, I will stand my position until there is some resolve. I generally like to do my electronics purchases from Costco because of their warranty return policies.
Fin2swim - Infant Aquatics Master Instructor Trainer "Life is Beautiful"
Keri Tom

Return to Keri's Thoughts