Text Size

Keri's Thoughts

PACQUIAO VS MARGARITO

Just random thoughts and ideas

PACQUIAO VS MARGARITO

Postby Keri Tom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 pm

This fight should be pretty good. There is a lot of speculation to Pacquiao's condition as not being the same as prior due to his focus on politics and not boxing. I favor Pacquiao but anything can happen. I hope he puts on a good fight and uses his quick thinking and hands to overcome Margarito. I believe I will be ordering this fight. If you have not seen the prior Pacquiao fights, you are missing out.

ARLINGTON, TX (September 17, 2010) – Tickets to the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito world championship fight go on sale Tomorrow! Saturday, September 18. Priced at $700, $500, $300, $200, $100, and $50, tickets can be purchased in-person at the Cowboys Stadium ticket office in Arlington, or by calling Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000. Tickets can also be purchased online at http://www.ticketmaster.com.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Cowboys Stadium, and MP Promotions, the 10-time world champions will rumble on Saturday, November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX and it will be produced and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.

Cowboys Stadium will be configured for over 50,000 fans for Pacquiao vs. Margarito, with elevated floor seating similar to NBA games.

Pacquiao and Margarito, of the Philippines and México, respectively, collide in the most exciting and intriguing fight of the year with the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight championship and the No. 1 pound for pound title at stake.

Pacquiao and Margarito boast a combined record of 89-9-2 (65 KOs) -- a winning percentage of 89% and a victory by knockout ratio of 73%.

This marks Pacquiao’s second world championship headlining appearance at Cowboys Stadium. On March 13, professional boxing made its debut at Cowboys Stadium where close to 51,000 fans watched Pacquiao successfully defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against former world champion Joshua Clottey. Call it Mannyfist Destiny, Pacquiao, no stranger to making history, will not only be looking to expand his trophy case by winning an unprecedented eighth world title in as many different weight divisions, but he will also be the first elected official to fight for a world championship, much less headline a major international pay-per-view promotion. He won a seat in his country’s Congress, winning the lone seat from the province of Sarangani, in a landslide in the May 10 election.

For Margarito, a three-time world welterweight champion, this will be his second attempt at a world super welterweight title. Margarito’s resume includes victories over six former or current world champions. Known as the “Tijuana Tornado,” the hard-hitting Margarito is the WBC’s International super welterweight champion and its No. 1 super welterweight contender.

Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs), of General Santos City, Philippines, returns to the ring after successfully defending his WBO welterweight title via a dominant unanimous decision over former International Boxing Federation (IBF) welterweight champion Clottey. Pacquiao captured the WBO welterweight title last November with a brilliant 12th round knockout of four-time world champion Miguel Cotto. Pacquiao’s victory made him the first man to win seven titles in as many different weight divisions, with his last three world championships coming by way of knockout. The consensus Fighter of the Year for the third time in the past four years and the Boxing Writers Association of America’s “Fighter of the Decade,” Pacquiao’s resume features victories over future Hall of Famers, including Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez and Cotto. His knockout victories over Cotto and Hatton made him the 2009 pay-per-view king, exceeding two million buys combined, while no boxer has sold more live tickets than Pacquiao in 2010.

Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs), a native of Tijuana, México, captured his first world title in 2002, winning the vacant WBO welterweight title with a tenth-round TKO of Antonio Diaz. He reigned as WBO champion for five years, successfully defending his title seven times – five by knockout – including victories over world champions Kermit

Cintron, Andrew Lewis and Clottey. After losing the title to Paul Williams in 2007, Margarito dethroned IBF welterweight champion Cintron in a rematch, knocking him out in their 2008 fight. Margarito claimed his third welterweight title when he stopped undefeated World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in the eleventh round of their July 2008 battle, arguably the fight of the year.

The Pacquiao vs. Margarito pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9 p.m. ET /

6 p.m. PT, has a suggested retail price of $54.95, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View® and will be available to more than 71 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View®, a division of Home Box Office, Inc., is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For Pacquiao vs. Margarito fight week updates, log on to http://www.hbo.com or http://www.toprank.com .
Fin2swim - Infant Aquatics Master Instructor Trainer "Life is Beautiful"
Keri Tom

PACQUIAO wins

Postby Keri Tom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 am

Pacquiao wins and I have to say Margarito was pretty tough to take the intense brutal 4x combos to the head and still stand. Margarito must have taken the 4x hard power combos over and over again. Margarito was way bigger and even out weighed Pacquiao. Pacquiao was very fast and accurate as usual. He is really a humble world class fighter and an entertaining one to watch. If you didn't see this match, you missed out.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Is there anything Manny Pacquiao can't do?
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter @danrafaelespn

Filipino congressman by day, legendary prize fighter by night, Pacquiao climbed another yet mountain and did it easily.

When you watch Pacquiao ply his trade, you are not only watching the best fighter in the world -- and there is no question about it at this point -- you are watching one of the greatest fighters of all time.

And Pacquiao showed it again as he destroyed former welterweight titlist Antonio Margarito to win a vacant junior middleweight title before an electric crowd of 41,734 on Saturday night at Cowboys Stadium.

In doing so, the Pacman carved out another chunk of history in his legendary career. Sure, we are in an era of a ridiculous amount of titles, but Pacquiao has done something nobody has ever done -- or even come close to doing or attempting to do.

He broke his own record by winning a title in an eighth weight division. Keep in mind, he started his career at 106 pounds and won his first title in the 112-pound flyweight division.

And then, he skipped over two divisions and has won titles at 122, 126, 130, 135, 140, 147 and now in the 154-pound junior middleweight division.

"He's the best fighter in the world," said Robert Garcia, Margarito's trainer. "He's just too fast. We couldn't get him into the ropes to hit him with clean shots."

Although the fight was contracted at 150 pounds -- a point of contention for some -- Pacquiao wasn't even a close to the weight. He weighed 144.6 at the official weigh-in on Friday and entered the ring at 148.

Margarito was massive compared to him, making Pacquiao's performance that much more impressive. Margarito was 150 pounds officially, but rehydrated to a 165 on fight night. And besides outweighing the little guy by 17 pounds, Margarito also held a 6-inch reach advantage and 4½-inch height advantage.

So what did Pacquiao do?

He chopped on that tree all night long. He gave Margarito the beating of a lifetime, one many believed he deserved in a fight he didn't deserve.

Margarito, who made at least $3 million (a figure likely to more than double after the pay-per-view total comes in), came into the fight as the clear villain. He had been given a license in Texas for the fight following more than a year on ice after he was caught trying to enter the ring for his January 2009 fight in California with Shane Mosley, which Margarito lost.

So watching him take a beating must have been satisfying for those disgusted that the fight was even made in the first place.

"It was a hard fight," Pacquiao said. "I did my best to win this fight. I can't believe I beat someone this big and this strong."
Believe it.

It was not even close as Pacquiao moved to 2-0 at Cowboys Stadium this year -- two more wins in the $1.2 billion palace than the hometown Cowboys have this NFL season.

Pacquiao's voluminous punch output and otherworldly speed advantage was clear immediately, and in the end, the judges had it 120-108, 119-109 and 118-110. ESPN.com also had it 120-108 as Pacquiao ravaged him with hard, fast, flush blows with both hands.

The statistics were overwhelming in Pacquiao's favor, although that's the way it has been for his past several fights as his opponents, each one bigger and bigger, were outclassed.

"I don't think Manny lost a single round," trainer Freddie Roach said. "I wish we had knocked him out. He's a very tough guy. I was surprised how tough he was. He has the worst corner. They probably ruined his career by not stopping the fight."

Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs) landed 474 of 1,069 punches for a ridiculous 44-percent connect percentage. Of those blows, he landed 411 of 713 power shots (58 percent).

Manny Pacquiao's quick hands kept Antonio Margarito out of step for 12 rounds.

He simply strafed Margarito with punch after punch. In the fourth round, all those punches left Margarito with nasty swelling under his right eye as the crowd began chanting, "Manny! Manny! Manny!"

Margarito (38-7, 27 KOs) got to Pacquiao here and there in the middle rounds, but he could never sustain any offense because Pacquiao was so fast he was able to escape.

"I got hurt," Pacquiao admitted. "He hurt me in the belly and in the face."

Margarito's swelling would only get worse and by the 11th round both of his eyes were swollen so much that referee Laurence Cole called timeout to cover Margarito's eye and make him guess how many fingers he was holding up.

Pacquiao even looked to Cole during an onslaught and asked him to stop the fight in a humane move.

"My opponent looked bad," said Pacquiao, who earned $15 million plus pay-per-view profits that should take him well over $20 million. "I wanted the referee to stop it. In the 12th round I was just looking to get thru the fight. I eased up on him. I told the referee, 'Look at his eyes.' I didn't want to damage him permanently. That's not what boxing is about."

Said Cole: "In the 10th round the eye was starting to swell really bad. I was looking for a chance to stop the fight but Margarito kept fighting back."

Margarito took his beating like man.

"He's very fast. It's hard to land a punch on that guy, but there's no way I was going to quit in the fight," Margarito said. "I am a Mexican and we fight to the end."

Said Garcia, "Toward the end the of the fight the punches were coming clean and Pacquiao was looking to the referee to stop the fight, but we have a warrior here and he would never let me stop the fight."

Having rolled through Margarito, as well as Miguel Cotto and Joshua Clottey at welterweight, there is but one fight left for Pacquiao.

That would be against Floyd Mayweather Jr., the only fighter in the world close to him in terms of pound-for-pound recognition.

We all know the story about talks have fallen apart twice. Mayweather should have been the one in the ring with Pacquiao on Saturday, but he declined the fight, which looms as the richest in boxing history.

We don't know if Mayweather will ever take it, but Pacquiao remains up for it.

"I will fight anybody," he said. "I'll fight anyone, any where. If the fight happens, it happens. If not, I'm satisfied with my career already, but this fight with Mayweather would be great for boxing."

But before any of that, Pacquiao, the singing congressman, has other plans.

"I have a concert in Lake Tahoe next week," Pacquiao said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXVgwWW_Vjo&NR=1
Fin2swim - Infant Aquatics Master Instructor Trainer "Life is Beautiful"
Keri Tom

Return to Keri's Thoughts